Friday, August 5, 2005

Optimistic

6:37 PM 8/4/05  

I HAD A FLASHBACK ... to the era of 1976 and beyond ... when my back problems began & actually were at their worst.


     Being anti-alcoholism ... I facetiously refer to my "liniment" ... and "for medicinal purposes only"... but, it is not really funny.  I remember grabbing my bottle of gin, when my back got really bad, and chugging it straight ... definately not delicious!
 
TODAY, out of desperation, wanting to do something besides watch T.V., I had a few stiff doses of my "internal liniment".  WONDERFUL RESULTS!  No drugs, no P.T., no chiropractry ... but, now, all the tension & resultant pain, aches, agony, and immobility have subsided.  I am doing some fix-it tasks, not watching T.V., and have a feeling of accomplishment vs a feeling of hopelessness

  2:06 AM 8/5/2005


     Not too early of a bed-time ... but, hoping to get to
sleep now. I had a hot, soaky bath.  I put upon my back lots of Wintergreen liniment, which I poured upon a T-shirt... plus ... rubbed in some "Icy-Hot" liniments.

     I even took two Tylanol P.M.  My back feels better than it has for a week or more.
     Let's see if I can sleep thru this "night".  I had some
chicken noodle soup, and am sipping on a glass of milk. 
     This afternoon, out of desperation, Ihad a couple of
stiff gin drinks to relax my back.  The result was marvelous relief!
     I did a few of my P.T. exercises ... wondering if I
ought to go to the chiropractor, which the doctors never advocate?
 
11:22 AM 8/5/2005

      I did get a restful sleep last night, woke up twice, but, did go right back to sleep. I feel rested.  
     Starting out slowly ... put on a lot of liniment, going to
have some internal liniment (usually reserved for the evening, but, the Tylanol PM makes that a no-no)  and, maybe do a few more of my P.T. excercises.
     I cannot stand up straight yet today.  Across my hip
area was the first problem,now, my lower rib section is stiff & sore.  There was a severe "klink" there earlier that made me grunt loudly.
     I do feel a bit more ambitious ... having gotten such a
restful night.   It remains to be seen if I can follow thru on that!

12:54 AM 8/6/2005

     Such relief ... blessed, marvelous, heavenly ... It's hard to believe that I had more than a week of misery, and now to have a day of relative ease with a minimum ofpain, and a much relaxed back!
     Remembering: in 1976, when I had my first back injuries, I can just picture myself grabbing the gin bottle out of desperation ... and the blessed wave of relaxation & relief that washed over me.  It was always such a distinct release!
     So, this past day ... waking up after a nice nite's sleep due to the Tylanol P.M., I decided to try the muscle relaxing technique ... cautiously ... only during the first part of the day.
     It did work!  I accomplished quite a bit; I actually felt impelled to do some of my projects!   AND ... did not suffer for my activities! 
     I fell asleep watching T.V., then got up about midnight and took my two Tylanol P.M.  Now, I have a vague ache around my hip area, but that's all.  I am looking forward to another good nite's sleep now.

8:37 AM 8/6/2005

     Lookie at me ... feeling not as much pain as usual ... been up half an hour ... going back to bed.  My neck & shoulders are stiff, and a slight ache in my middle back.  I'll rub on some liniment, take a coupla aspirin, & sleep a bit more.

 

9:21 PM 8/6/05


     Now, what a wonderful day!  Just about no aches and pains ... did a little of this & that around the place.  It felt so good not to feel so bad.  I cannot believe that I am acutally standing upright, so straight, AND NOTHING HURTS!
    I think that I will not take the Tylanol P.M. (with the sleeping aid)  ... don't want to get dependent upon any of my "medicines". I don't want to have a drink with that, either,  I plan upon having a milk & gin as a nightcap.

No comments: