Thursday, June 29, 2006

Back to my back

3:00 PM 6/26/06

       Back to another whining entry ... I did something drastic ... got out my OLD back brace.  It is pretty well worn, but, should give me some support.  The doctors say not to wear it; my back would then begin to depend upon it.  BIG WOW!  My back hurts terrible now & I have things to do.  This morning was just doing light activity inside ... making meals, doing computer things, and some putzing -- tidying up some small areas of dust & clutter.
     I took three aspirins; my gin is all gone.  I probably will just have to lie down for a while.

11:17 AM 6/27/06

      My  back must feel pretty good ... the clue ... I FEEL AMBITIOUS ... am looking forward to the day!  That feeling kinda dawns upon me (now that I realize its implications) FIRST ... then, I notice that: "Hey, my back feels okay!".  Looking back, it did NOT take the hours to get out of bed & get loosened up as it did yesterday morning.
     With my back so miserable yesterday, I didn't do much that was very active ... besides a few weeds.  I retreated to the sofa a coupla times, & EARLY in the evening quit for the day ... even left a big mess in the kitchen.
     WHATEVER ... today is starting out better than yesterday; that is always a plus.  My mid-back is a bit sore ... very sore to the touch, but, I am walking upright & not in misery.

2:30 PM 6/27/06

     Okay ... so, just about all I did the past few hours was to sit in the lounge chair to eat lunch & wash dishes  ... so, why is my lower/mid back becoming such a torture?  Just when I was going to have a fruitful day!  Ouchie!

 

10:35 AM 6/28/06


     Still getting loosened up for theday.  My back feels just awful.  It is mostly  my mid-back that has a pain level of at least a seven right now.  The problem area at the base of my  neck hasn't been too bad for a while; if I do some stretching &  traction type exercises I can usually ease it.    

10:47 AM 6/28/06

     THIS  MAKES ME WONDER IF MY "LUMBAR FACETS" HAVE WORN OFF.  I have another appoint ment in mid-July.  TODAY... I am going to the chiropractor.  I usually l feel better after that; can hardly wait.  I had made the appointment for this afternoon; usually my back is loosened up by the afternoon.
     The way my back hurts, I am not making much of any plans to get anything done except lie on the sofa ... even sitting is uncomfortable & brings no relief ... so, that leaves out doing computer stuff.
     It's hard to believe that a few mornings ago, I was finding it hard to believe that my back felt so great!

 

7:42 PM 6/28/06

    PRESCRIPTION FOR RELIEVING BACK PAIN:

Aply liberal  applications of external liniment.
Aply liberal  applications of internal liniment.
Sit in lounge chair & watch TV.
BLABBER ON TELEPHONE.

 

10:02 AM 6/29/06

     YESTERDAY ... I went to the chiropractor & got some more gin.  It being rainy, I did practically nothing physical ... no outdoors tasks.  I slept very well (usually do after a chiropractor session), and my back was fairly loose this morning.  The back pain was more of a very noticeable ache ... like a muscle ache ...  but like the memory ache of the pain yesterday.  I remember, when I had been going to a chiropractor in the 90's, my back would notice the improvement THE DAY FOLLOWING THE TREATMENT.
 
     So far today ... I've done NOTHING. I sat at the computer a while, fed the dogs, fed the cats, & made coffee.

12:31 PM 6/29/06

     SOooo ...  when my back does start to feel better, then,  I feel more ambitious.  That is when I must catch  up on all the stuff that I didn't do/couldn't do.  Things that fell down need to be picked up ... cooking messes need to be cleaned up ... chores that I put off have piled up.  It is such a nice day out ... I want to go outside ... but, first have been catching up tidying up.

 

7:59 PM 6/29/06

     This afternoon, I DID get outside.  I did a bit more with the electric trimmer than I'd planned ... forced myself to  achieve a goal ... with the promise of something nice  for supper & a drink & a rest.  I did all the above ... then, later, actually did a bit more with the trimmer.  I had some more aspirins.  I have been putting liniment on all day, too.  The drink relaxes my muscles; tension causes tightness & pain.

     My activities for the day had better cease.   I do have a lot of computer work to do.  My pain level is very low, my muscles are relaxed, I have a feeling of accomplishment.

L o i s
Upper Peninsula, MI and beyond (my journal)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must have lost an entry....how did you hurt your back?  Turning 62 seems to have brought out the aches and pains of arthritis in these old bones. The past few months have been filled will creaks and rattling...ha.ha   I walk 6 miles a day and doctor say's that's good. Keep them bones limber. I'm on an arthritis medication.....volteran. It really helps a lot. They pulled the vioxx off the market, but this volteran has been around for years and years. I like it better than the newer drugs and it doesn't cause the side effects that the newer ones had.

As for the gin.....oh yeah.....I'd love to sip me some of that good stuff. But I'd probably never be sober...ha.ha  I'll kill that pain, alrighty righty :)

Hope you get to feeling better for the weekend. We're staying put, maybe go out to dinner but no traveling for us. Hey, what's gas costing up your way. Down here in Otisville, I've seen it at $3.09 and the cheapest was $2.98

Anonymous said...

    When I was young, on the family farm, people would tell me: "You are going to ruin your back" ... or ... "You will have back trouble when you are older".
   Oh, well, I was the oldest of seven, my dad worked out; I was the "chore-boy".
    When the family moved & we had a feed mill, I was again the "chore boy".
    When I "escaped" & got married ... moved to a dairy farm ... I was again the "chore-boy".   I was actually in labor with my first child when my husband insisted that we first FINISH moving the lumber pile!
    Later, trying to support young children with no child support, I did many jobs that were physically demanding ... but, really necessary.
    I've found out, furthermore, that INJURIES can trigger arthritis problems.  I had a knee replacement (after three years of hell) ... because of an injury.   I've had at least three back injuries since 1976.